About The Institute
We Are The Chartered Governance Institute of Canada
Chartered Secretaries and Chartered Governance Professionals are the primary sources of trusted advice to boards of directors and leaders in the practice of good governance.
The Chartered Governance Institute of Canada (CGIC) is the only global qualifying organization in Canada that grants Chartered status to professionals like you, and is committed to empowering, strengthening, and advancing your status.
CGIC’s designations are your passport to the world, and our International Qualifying Program will set you apart.
Join us and be part of a truly global network.
CGIC provides quality education, training, services, and advocacy to support excellence in governance.
Governance excellence through competent professionals.
Our Strategic Priorities
- Society and Organizations Recognize Our Global Designation
- Increase the Number of Members.
- Deliver Continuing Professional Development Programs, including DEAP.
- Maintain International Education Standards
CGIC provides quality education, training, services and advocacy to support excellence in governance.
In support of the Global Vision of the Chartered Governance Institute, our vision is to be the undisputed leader in the world of governance within the jurisdiction of the Canadian Division.
Our Strategic Priorities
- Be the Premier Education and Training Organization in Governance in the Region.
- Be the Premier Service Organization for the Governance Community in the Region.
- Improve the Effectiveness of the Organization.
What We Do
CGIC is dedicated to:
- Providing education, training, and support for practicing company secretaries, governance advisers, risk and compliance managers, and all governance professionals to drive responsible performance in their organizations.
- Providing the qualification framework and professional education pathway to qualify Chartered Secretaries and Chartered Governance Professionals.
- Supporting corporate, public, and not-for-profit sectors with professional resources and best practice guidance.
- Keeping members updated on new developments in the areas of corporate governance, company secretarial practice, and company law.
- Providing ongoing professional development opportunities via courses and workshops.
- Ensuring members abide by the Code of Professional Ethics and Conduct.
What Our Members Do
CGIC members include over 800 Chartered Secretaries, Chartered Governance Professionals, Accredited Directors, Professional Administrators, and individuals who are interested in corporate governance located across Canada and in Bermuda.
Our Governance Qualifications
CGIC has two renowned education programs to support governance professionals at all stages of their career.
International Qualifying Program
Internationally recognized certification for Chartered Secretaries and Chartered Governance Professionals.
Directors' Education and Accreditation Program
Designation recognizing enhanced competencies in governance, finance, and strategy and risk management.
Our Global Reach
CGIC is the Canadian Division of The Chartered Governance Institute, an international professional body founded in England in 1891 and granted its Royal Charter in 1902.
The Canadian Division is part of a truly global organization, with over 29,000 members living and working in over 80 countries. Collectively, there are nine local institutes worldwide supporting our membership, and qualifying aspiring governance professionals through our internationally recognized and portable training. Collectively, The Chartered Governance Institute is the only international organisation that can offer a qualification that empowers a person with skills that transcend borders.